Men often experience a drop in their sexual vitality after a certain age. This is because of the production of male sex hormone, testosterone, decreases as you age. What adds fuel to the fire is years of smoking cigarettes, alcohol and junk food consumption.
Your sexual life need not head towards the sunset as you age. The changes you are experiencing in your sexual life are preventable. This article will talk about how you can enhance your sexual wellness and give you tips on improving your performance in bed. This will also help you have better self-esteem and have a better relationship with your partner.
1. Take Care of Your Ticker: Reasons Your Heart is More Than Just Your Center of Emotions
The functioning of the male sex organs greatly depends on your blood pressure and how effectively the blood runs in your body. When you get aroused, your brain sends signals to your heart which then pumps blood to the sexual organs and makes it possible for you to achieve a full erection. Therefore, to enjoy a good sex life, you must keep your heart healthy.
A sedentary lifestyle does more than just add belly fat. It makes your heart sluggish, which may also compromise your sexual performance. But if you incorporate a few good eating habits into your routine, you can easily keep your heart healthy and take care of your sexual well-being. Here are some ways to incorporate more sexual nutrition into your diet:
- Eat a Heart-Friendly Diet: What you eat greatly affects your heart health. You should try to eat more fruits and vegetables. For your needs of protein, turn to dietary sources like egg, poultry, and seafood. Try to avoid foods high in Trans-fats. These include fried foods, bakery items and processed foods.
- Exercise Daily: Do you feel exhausted after sex? If yes, then it is an indicator that your heart is not as healthy as it should be. The act of sex is laborious activity and needs a tremendous flow of blood to all body tissues, especially the genital areas. One way you can boost the pumping capacity of your heart is by exercising daily. By gradually increasing the intensity of your workouts, you can acclimatize your heart to keep up with increased demands of the body during sexual intercourse.
- Maintain a Healthy Body Weight: Try to lose some weight. Losing only a couple of pounds will cause a several fold improvement in your heart health.
- Stop Smoking: Nothing deteriorates your heart health like smoking does. Smoking narrows the vessels supplying blood to the heart. This compromises the working capacity of the heart and increases the risk of complications like angina, heart attack, and stroke.
- Avoid Alcohol: A drink or two may help you turn you on, but habitual drinking does more harm than good. If you are a male drinking more than two alcoholic beverages per day or a female drinking more than one drink per day, you are stepping over the line. You need to cut back on your drinking.
- Manage Stress: Stress causes the release of chemicals, called catecholamines, which cause spasm of the vessels supplying the heart. Doing yoga or breathing exercises can help you manage your stress levels in check and heart healthy. More detail on this is in the next sections.
- Manage Hypertension and Diabetes: Medical conditions like diabetes and high blood pressure cause damage to your heart in the longer run. This is particularly true if you are not taking your medicines properly.
You are at the risk of developing heart diseases if you suffer from high blood pressure, obesity and diabetes. In that case, you must take extra precautions to monitor these diseases so that you can keep both your heart as well as your sex life healthy.
2. Unresolved Stress: How to Handle This Double-Edged Sword
Stress is a double edged sword. It is natural for anyone to feel anxious, especially when you are taking your love behind the curtains. A little stress is rather useful as it causes a surge of catecholamines in your blood. A transient increase in the levels of these chemicals boosts your performance in bed.
But things take an ugly turn if you remain stressed all the times. Stress can affect various functions of your body, which includes your libido. It causes your heart to beat faster and increase your blood pressure. Both increased heart rate and blood pressure adversely affect your sexual desire and performance.
Long-term psychological stress hinders sexuality wellness and makes it difficult for you to achieve a longer erection. Reducing stress is important for keeping on top of your game.
You may reduce stress by:
- Taking Deep Breaths: Find a peaceful corner in your room, close your eyes and take deep breaths.
- Getting Enough Sleep: Make sure to get no less than seven to eight hours of uninterrupted sleep daily.
- Exercising Daily: Exercise 20 to 30 minutes daily.
- Welcoming Humor: A good laugh helps relieve stress.
- Staying Positive: Pessimism is the harbinger of stress, anxiety and depression. Stay positive.
- Talking it Out: If there is something that is bothering you and causing anxiety, you might find someone to talk to. Talking about a problem can help relieve stress. You must also take out time to unwind. This helps you to relax and rejuvenate.
Moreover, take a pick from the following activities to help reduce everyday stress:
- Doing Pilates or Yoga
- Listening to music
- Getting a massage
- Practicing Tai-Chi
These activities help you to step back and clear your mind. They also help to take things that cause stress off your mind and thus promote relaxation. Mediation and Yoga are practiced for sexual wellness in India and many other countries.
3. Smoking: The Biggest Sexual Wellness Killer
The Marlboro Man may be projected as the manliest, but in reality, smoking harms your sexual well being in more than one way. Smoking can:
- Lead to Impotency: Smoking damages blood vessels supplying your pelvic structures, causing erectile dysfunction. Also, smoking reduces sperm count in men which can cause permanent infertility.
- Reduce Your Libido: Smokers often find it difficult to engage in sexual intercourse. This is because of the testosterone lowering actions of smoking.
- Affect Penis Size: For men who start smoking young, cigarette smoke can hinder the development of their sexual organs, which can then lead to a smaller penis size.
Smoking can constrict blood vessels, which then leads to all the after-effects mentioned above. Therefore, it is wise to quit smoking for optimum sexual wellness. For that, you can use nicotine gums that help you fight your cravings. If you are finding it hard to give up smoking, you may consult your doctor.
4. Drinking Alcohol: Not as Manly as the Media Portrays It
Alcohol can cause:
- Brain Depression: Alcohol causes depression of your central nervous system, which hinders sexual arousal and orgasm.
- Dehydration: Alcohol dehydrates your body, which prevents your blood from carrying enough oxygen to your genitals for stimulation.
- Rise in Angiotensin: It causes a rise in angiotensin. It is a hormone associated with erectile dysfunction.
Though alcohol may help you overcome sexual inhibitions and reduce anxiety, but in the long-term alcohol causes more sex problems than it benefits you.
5. Change Your Outlook for the Better: Go Outside More
Sunlight helps to reduce the production of melatonin in the body. Melatonin is a hormone that helps you sleep better but also diminishes your sexual urges. So when you are low on melatonin levels, your desire for sex increases and you enjoy intercourse more.
Going out more and letting the sun rays hit your skin helps to keep your sex life healthy. This is beneficial especially during the winter months as the body produces more melatonin during the winter.
6. Busting Those Masturbation Myths
Masturbation may be a touchy subject, surrounded by a lot of myths and misconception. Self-pleasure is pictured negatively and as something damaging for sexual health. This is a myth, as science says otherwise.
The stimulation of the genitals can help men last longer in bed. Masturbation improves psychological and sexual health as it:
- Improves sleep.
- Boosts self-esteem and body image.
- Treats sexual dysfunction.
- Reduces stress.
- Promotes sexual satisfaction and relationship.
So do not be ashamed of locking the door and having a good time by yourself.
7. The Problem Maybe in Your Prescription Pills
Erectile dysfunction and reduced libido can be side effects of certain medications. Along with prescribed drugs, over-the-counter medicines and illegal substances can also be responsible for sexual problems.
You must talk to your doctor regarding the side effects if you are taking medication for:
- High blood pressure
- High Cholesterol
Seek advice for switching to a different drug. Your doctor can also suggest taking the medicine at a different time when it is less likely to interfere with your sex life.
8. Use an Effective Enhancement System
Enhancement systems are drugs that help improve erection quality, duration and firmness. Take your pick from a trusted brand like Maxoderm. Maxoderm maximizes erection quality and firmness by increasing the amount of Nitric Oxide (NO) in the body. NO dilates the blood vessels and boosts the supply of blood to your penis.
9. Eat Libido Boosting Foods
There are certain foods that can enhance your sexual health. Not only do these foods taste good but also boost your libido like nothing else:
- Spinach: Spinach is a rich source of magnesium which helps dilate the blood vessels. This means spinach improves the blood flow to the genitals and keeps the sex organs healthy.
- Green Vegetables: Vegetables like broccoli, kale, Brussel sprouts, cabbage, Swiss chard and Bok Choy contain a vitamin called folate. Folate lowers the levels of homocysteine which is an abrasive chemical in the blood. Homocysteine irritates the lining of the blood vessels and encourages plaque to clog them, leading to erectile dysfunction.
- Unsweetened Tea: Tea contains the antioxidant catechin which promotes blood circulation. This enhances both the functioning of the brain as well as the sex organs.
- Grapefruit, Oranges and Peaches: These fruits contain a high amount of vitamin C. This vitamin boosts sperm count, as well as the quality of your sperm.
- Eggs: The vitamin B6 and B5 in eggs help to keep hormones in check and maintain their balance in the body. Therefore, eggs help to promote healthy libido and are considered one of the most sensual foods.
Eating healthy foods can enhance your overall health. A healthy person can perform much better in bed than an unhealthy person. To maintain sexual health, you must avoid junk foods which are low in nutrients and start consuming healthy nutrient dense foods in proper amounts.
10. Move Your Body: Do Exercises to Improve Sexual Health
- Swiss Ball Press-Up: Place your shins on a Swiss ball in a position that allows you to do push-ups. This exercise helps to build your shoulder and chest muscles. Lower to the floor and then push up to complete the exercise. Do as many sets in a day as you are comfortable.
- Lower Back Lie Down: Lie on your back with your feet on the floor. Now slowly bring your knees to your chest. Hold for 30 seconds then lie back straight again. This helps to build your lower back muscles and your abdomen.
- Hinge Bow: Kneel on the floor with your knees bent at a 90-degree angle. Now slowly bend backward. Hold for two to three seconds before releasing your position. This exercise builds your Quad muscles which let you try certain sex position with ease.
Exercising regularly not only enhances your sexual fitness but also improves your overall health. It also helps reduce stress and brings vitality back in your life as you begin to feel younger.
11. A Little Help Goes a Long Way: Reasons to Consider Sex Therapy
Sex therapy can address a number of sex related problems like early ejaculation or erectile dysfunction. It can also be an effective measure against low libido that results from depression and stress. Often sex therapy is coupled with relationship counseling. Couple counseling deals with communication and helps the couples resolve their differences and make decisions together.
Couples often face difficulty in their sex life as they may have different sexual frequencies. If you are not gaining satisfaction in bed or are unable to satisfy your partner, the problem may be more than your sexual health. Consulting a sex therapist, in that case, can help bring pleasure and satisfaction to your sex life.
12. Maintain Your Relationship: Achieving a Work-Life Balance
Studies show that people who have less sex tend to work more. Working more helps them to achieve the sense of fulfillment that they should otherwise be getting from sex. Research shows that 36 percent of men and 35 percent of women who have sex only once a week tend to take on more work. Working for longer hours can cause stress. As a result, you have less sex which makes it a vicious cycle.
Take time off work to have more sex if you wish for sexual wellness. A healthy sex life can help keep stress at bay and promote overall health.
13. Healthy Swimmers: More Orgasms Mean Improved Sperm Quality
Having sex frequently improves your sperm quality as sex reduces the chance of DNA damage in the sperms. This, in turn, increases fertility in men. According to a study published by the European Society of Human Reproduction and Embryology, men who ejaculate regularly have a higher quality of semen than men who do not have sex on a regular basis. Therefore, have more sex to increase your chances of reproducing.
14. A Little More Help: Try a T-Supplement
Testosterone (T) therapy is gaining popularity for its effectiveness in increasing libido. Since testosterone and sex drive are linked, boosting testosterone levels in the body can, in turn, boost your sex drive.
Testosterone deficiency is one of the most common causes of erectile dysfunction and reduced libido. In that case, you can try taking a T-supplement coming from a trusted vendor. Be sure to take your doctor onboard before taking any supplement.
15. Sexual Nutrition: Try Vitamin Supplements for a Better Sex Life
If you feel that your diet is incapable of supplying the necessary vitamins to your body for better sexual health, you can opt for vitamin supplements to satiate your body’s need for nutrition. While supplements work to replenish the nutrients that your body needs to maintain sexual wellness, doctors suggest that it is best for you to get these nutrients naturally from the food you eat.
Here is a list of the five vitamins that you need to boost your sexual wellness:
- Vitamin C: Found in citrus fruits and vegetables like lemons, tomatoes and potatoes, vitamin C does more than just protect you from scurvy. Vitamin C promotes blood circulation in the body. This helps men to achieve an erection when aroused. It makes the arteries open up while making the veins narrow which fills your genitals with blood. Furthermore, vitamin C also helps prevent any Urinary Tract Infection (UTI).
- Folic Acid: Naturally found as folate in the green vegetables you eat, folic acid serves many purposes in the body. This is one of the reasons why the addition of folate to many foods was mandated by the United States Food and Drug Administration (FDA). Folic Acid helps improve the quality of sperm and the sperm count.
- Vitamin E: Along with folate, vitamin E is also known to have positive effects on sperm quality and activity. Vitamin E helps to prevent sexual dysfunction. It is a potent antioxidant that helps to reduce oxidative stress in the body, thus boosting your immune system.
- Vitamin B12: Deficiency of vitamin B12 can lead to low sperm count especially in older men. The sperms also become lazy which causes infertility. That is why doctors often prescribe vitamin B12 supplements to help increase sperm quality and volume in patients suffering from infertility.
- Vitamin B3: Vitamin B3 or Niacin is another important vitamin that is vital to your sexual health. Niacin boosts the levels of your sex hormones and improves blood circulation. Thereby, it boosts your libido. Niacin also helps to prevent erectile dysfunction and regulates sleep patterns.
A healthy sex life means you share a healthy relationship with your partner. While it is necessary to have a balanced diet, it is also necessary to keep vitamin deficiency in check.
16. Do a Testicular Self-Exam
It is important to check for any lumps, bumps, swelling or other irregularities of the testicles. This can help to detect any disease of the testicles and can help to maintain optimum sexual wellness. Perform a testicular self-exam periodically. It is best done in a warm shower when your scrotum is relaxed.
Check whether one testicle appears larger than the other. Examine the testicles with your hands by gently rolling the testicle between your thumb and forefinger. If you notice any irregularities, consult a doctor immediately.
A testicular self-exam helps to detect testicular cancer. The sooner it is diagnosed, easier it is for the doctor to treat it. Talk to your doctor in detail about the signs and symptoms of the disease before you talk about the treatment options.
Men tend to believe in many sex myths. These can promote negative feelings as they alter the sexual wellness definition. Because of this, some of these misbeliefs can interfere with their sexual wellness. It is important to maintain sexual health as sex diseases can affect your overall health. Consult a sexual wellness center to learn more about how to maintain your sexual health.